Summer research fellowship at NCU

I spent the summer of 2021 at Nicolaus Copernicus University (NCU) in Toruń (Poland). It is named after Nicolaus Copernicus, who was born in Toruń in 1473. The NCU serves over 20 thousand students in a town of 200 thousand inhabitants.

I worked at the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy, and Informatics, in the Laboratory of Applied Biophotonics (LAB), a multidisciplinary research team lead by Prof. Maciej Szkulmowski focused on the development of optical imaging methods for application in biology and medicine.

I started the summer with an Erasmus + STT (Staff Training Mobility) fellowship to improve my teaching skills and gain new ideas on running laboratories for Physics and Engineering students.

Thanks to the support of an NCU research fellowship (project From Fundamental Optics to Applied Biophotonics with NCU in Torun) and the support from Fundación CAI-Ibercaja, and University of Zaragoza (ref: CB 4/21), I collaborated with Prof. Iwona Gorczyńska and her team on 2-photon vision experiments with SS-OCT (Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography). 


I also had the opportunity to work with colleagues at ICTER (International Center for Translational Eye Research) in Warsaw (Poland) to conduct experiments on porcine eyes within the OPUS 19 MAiCRO project I currently lead.   

Special thanks to Dr. Maciej M. Bartuzel from NCU who worked with me side by side on all the aforementioned research projects.

I worked hard and spent many hours in the lab, but before the beginning of the academic year, I had the chance to take a one-week break in Mallorca.